Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Laura, The Lab Rat

I am currently involved in a BYU study on post-partum weight-loss. I am super excited about it. Last week I wore a 'body-bug' 24/7 (except for showers) so they can measure how active I am...hopefully it wasn't too pitiful. I had to get blood work done and a Doctor's approval to be involved. On Saturday I went in for the official 'base-line' tests. They measured everything. I sat in a thing called a 'Bod Pod' (like on The Biggest Loser) which measures fat percentages and muscle mass. I also had a DEXA, which measures bone density. I had to do Shoulder Presses, Leg Presses, and Crunches. I don't want to brag, but pretty much I kicked butt on the Leg Presses (250 lbs) and Crunches (70) , 4 days later and I'm still sore.

They are testing 60 women for the study, 30 of them were done last semester, so I am in the 2nd group. Each group was randomly divided up so half are doing resistance training and half are doing stretching. I was selected for the stretching. I was a little bummed, but last night I did my 1st stretching routine, and I love it. I felt so good after. Every Thursday night there is a Yoga type class that I get to go to, I'm really looking forward to it. I go back in 2 months to have another physical assessment, another one in 4 months, then the last one is in 10 months. I am determined to see the fat percentage number shrink every time. I am so lucky to be in this study. Not only is it great motivation, I will get a total of $100 for doing it...not too shabby.

America, next time you see me I will be one hot Momma!

4 comments:

  1. good for you!! i hope you reach your goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fun and exciting. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really?? I would LOVE to be paid to lose weight. That is SO cool!

    I would love to hear your reports and progress as you go. I will be cheering for you on the side lines. WHoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU GO, GIRL!! (Let me know how it goes and what works well for you because I'm going to need your expertise in a few months.

    ReplyDelete